Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Winds of Change

For those of you who don't know me, I am an Air elemental. I belong to the Butterfly Clan, according to the Medicine Wheel. We often do 10 things all at one time and multi task with that very well. We are expansive thinkers and very sociable creatures. All of this is wonderful, for a Butterfly Clan person. However, we can also change with the wind. And when we do, we can drive other elementals around us crazy. Just when you think those butterfly wings are nailed down, poof! We flutter off and don't come back for quite some time. We are too busy socializing to be nailed down to anything.

This is actually a delightful medicine to carry. You see, most people find change to be something that threatens them. They have gotten stuck in the fight or flight aspects of reality. Butterfly Clan people take empty handed leaps into the unknown and find ourselves with either a nice solid place to land or with wings that help us learn how to fly more efficiently.

I have recently taken such a leap. I have also experienced the judgement involved in taking that leap. Some find it to be extremely threatening to their paradigm of reality. They respond with hostility and uncertainty about who I am and what I am about. I feel that if they ever really knew me at all, they would have realized that their opinion of me matters little to me. So I am not that concerned by them.

What I am very impressed with is the amount of support that I have received from the community at large. Some have been in exactly my situation and have been way too afraid to do anything about it. They admire my courage. Some are in awe of the fact that I can do what I have to and still do it in a harmonious fashion. And most are very happy for me. These are people who "get it" when it comes to life and matters of the heart. And I just want to put out there that each and every one of them means a lot to me. This is not just because of the support (although that is wonderful in and of itself) but because they are on the journey and having the same challenges and struggling with the same issues. They, like me, are human. They are not caught up in the dogma of expectations. They are simply trying to do what is right for them. So to all of you out there, I thank you. Go gently.

Blessed Be

Trent
www.deerhornshamanic.com

No comments: