Friday, July 1, 2011

Canada Day

I have found myself wondering at times if there is such a thing as a patriotic Canadian?  By that I don't just mean the folks who go all hooforah on Canada Day.  I mean those of us who are proud to be Canadian every day.  I get tired of people saying things like, "I don't think I'll vote this time because the choices all suck."  Well, if you don't vote you don't have a right to complain.  It is a privilege to be able to vote in a world where many countries have dictatorships and there is no choice whatsoever.
Now I am not saying that we have to all wave our Canadian flags every day.  I am just saying that we need an attitude adjustment.  Canadians can be complacent.  That is something that we should never allow ourselves to become because as soon as we do we lose our power as the people of this nation.  We need to be vocal and to stand up and be heard.  We need to be able to strive for changes in governmental policies as well as changes within ourselves.
We did earn the "timid" and "powerless" image that other countries have of us legitimately.  Yes, we are polite.  But yes, we can also be pushovers.  We need to stop that and grow national spines.  And yes, for the love of God, wear red and white on Canada Day!!!

Blessed Be

Trent
www.deerhornshamanic.com
http://www.youtube.com/trentdeerhorn

1 comment:

Blondi Blathers said...

I was listening to Randy Bachman's Vinyl Tap on CBC Radio last night. Fantastic show, by the way. Anyway, he said "We are so lucky to live here in Canada." Everyone says that, right? But he added something like this: "If you think we have anything to complain about here, just go somewhere else for a while. You'll soon see the difference, and realize Canada is the best place in the world to live." That just kinda struck me as probably quite true, although I've always thought "best place to live" to be subjective.