Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Art Of Breathing

“Human life is the concentration of breath; when it is concentrated, there is life, when it is dispersed, there is death.” Chuang-tzu

Many years ago, I was introduced to the art of Zen meditation, or zazen, as it is called. I found this to be an incredible tool for my journey in life. Having been completely stressed out by the time it was introduced to me, I was immediately aware of the benefits of this practice as I became progressively more serene.

As time went on, though, I began to fall out of my practice of zazen. By the time I entered university, I was only practicing once a week. With the hectic schedules that university brings, I completely abandoned the practice and dedicated my time more to study, partying, and cruising for girls. Although I am exceptional, I am also a male! By the fourth year, I was toast. Gradually I introduced a variety of styles of meditation into a regime that was working for me. And then I found that my life took a quantum leap forward, as life tends to do. As a result, even that regime was abandoned.

About two years ago, I found a lovely book called Zen Mind: Beginner’s Mind by Shunryu Suzuki. This little gem of a book has reminded me of the importance of breath. I have reinstated my zazen practice on a daily basis and I don’t think I will ever be letting it go again.

I find it amazing how often in life we hold our breath instead of allowing it to flow. As we allow the breath to move deeply through us, we become more peaceful and happy, more centered and grounded, more stable and secure in our lives. This brings us to a way of existing with our world in a more harmonious fashion. Even while I am writing this, my breath is slowing and allowing the energy to flow through my body, mind and spirit. It is not something that is strictly done in a lotus position, although this is what is suggested. There is a reason for this position, but I have also found that, after numerous car accidents and a bad throw from a horse, my body will not go into the lotus anymore. I don’t even want to force it to try. If one day it unfolds from within me again, so be it. Until then, a half lotus will have to do and I will be able to still breathe in whatever pose, sitting or standing, I happen to be in.

I highly recommend that everyone introduce themselves to the art of zazen. The best part of it is that you don’t have to buy any tools, you don’t have to attend any special classes in an already busy day, you don’t even have to stop what it is you are doing. You simply need to turn your attention to your breath and allow it to flow through you. The breath is something that we were created with to allow us to live. Let’s not stop living by making ourselves stop breathing.

Blessed Be

Trent

No comments: