Saturday, April 26, 2008

Coffee

I remember singing a song in choir competition when I was in about grade 2 or 3. The song went: C-O-F-F-E-E, coffee is not for me! And then a bunch of other stuff about how bad coffee is for you. I was so cute, according to my mom and sister. I will have to believe them, because they would never lie to me, right? RIGHT??

Now I look back on this and find it funny, considering that I am definitely a coffee drinker. It is not that I live on coffee. But I certainly don't think I can live well without it. I like to have one cup in the morning (sometimes 2 if I have had a rough night). That's it. None of this "must have my pot of jet fuel" stuff. With how energetic I am, jet fuel must be kept at a moderate level.

I find that coffee has some medicinal effects for me. Beyond keeping me alert and happy, it helps my digestive system. Too much, like too much of any good thing, can give me some liver problems. So I go about it very carefully. It is the only thing that I use on a daily basis (and some days I don't) that could possibly be considered "harmful" in any way. But because I use it in a gentle way, it doesn't have the negative effects that it might for the hardened addict.

Ever since I was a child I have enjoyed the smell of brewed coffee. When I was 13 I came downstairs one morning, poured myself a bowl of coffee, added cream and sugar, and dipped fresh baked bread into it. It was delicious!! My mother almost had a fit. Not because I was drinking (or in this case, eating) coffee, but because this is what her father, whom I had never met because he died before I was born, used to do every morning! Some things just get genetically imprinted, I'd say. And that kind of imprinting is just plain fun!

Blessed Be

Trent
www.deerhornshamanic.com

2 comments:

Gail said...

Coffee and nicotine gum get me through part of my day; from the minute I wake up until at least 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Then, I have to lay off the caffeine so I can sleep at night.
It's been jokingly said for quite a few years that coffee and cigarettes is 'the breakfast of champions' - posters and magazine 'ads' announced this 'fact'. I also saw a poster picturing the 'breakfast of champions' as a pint of beer and a fistful of drugs.
We think nothing of pouring this kind of jet fuel into our bodies, never considering there may be cumulative effects later on. I know when I've gone off coffee in the past I experience withdrawal - headache and irritability, a groggy, not quite with it feeling, like I'm thinking with a brain buried in mud. After about three days, the headache and irritability are gone and my brain is clear of the mud. That's usually about the time I start thinking how nice it would be to reward myself with a nice cuppa coffee!

Trent Deerhorn said...

Hi Gail,

Rock on and pour me a cup! Two cream, two sugar (sometimes 3 if the jet fuel is really strong).

Trent