Monday, September 15, 2008

Flogged, Stoned, Crucified or Burned at the Stake

The other evening, my partner and I were watching TV and a news break came on. The announcer stated that, in light of the recent hurricanes in the U.S. we could expect oil prices to soar.

My response to this was, "Hmmm. I wonder how long the oil companies are going to take to realize that they would have a lot better Public Relations if in the wake of a disaster they actually lowered their prices in order to help out their fellow man?"

My partner's response went something like, "You know, thinking like that could get you burned at the stake! How many lifetimes will it take for you to learn?"

She knows me well. I have often been flogged, stoned, crucified or burned at the stake because I happen to be a forward thinker. But I think that it will be a looooong time before I stop thinking in forward ways in order to avoid such fates. I also think that we should all extremely limit our oil consumption in order to take the monopoly of control away from the oil companies. There are things like public transit and car pooling for a reason. Personally, I enjoy my walk to work instead of driving (especially now that the iPod is functional!) and so does my partner. We also car pool to other events, such as Ballroom Dance. Every little bit counts when it comes to gas prices that "soar". I would rather we see our spirits soar!

I also think that it would not hurt if everyone wrote a letter (not a silly list of names who agree...an actual individual letter) to the oil companies and state that we are very disappointed in their lack of compassion in the wake of major storms and extremely disgusted in the amount and extent of their greed involved in hiking gas prices yet again in response to devastation. The more paper these companies have to deal with, the more likely we will get their attention.

Blessed Be

Trent

2 comments:

Gail said...

I think you're whistlin' in the wind on this one, Trent. The more paper the oil companies receive the higher the cost of administratiion, ergo, the higher the cost at the pumps. The oil companies will blame the cost of fuel not only on natural catastrophes, but on the cost of doing business and on anything else they think the average consumer will swallow. God forbid they would even consider absorbing this cost. Gotta take care of the stockholders, dontcha know! And you can bet that the biggest stockholders are the world governments, Canada included!

Trent Deerhorn said...

Thus we would only be destroying yet more trees???? Sheesh!