Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Gang Bang

I am one who is all for individuality. I love the fact that in the face of Corporate North America there are individuals who dress like hippies and read tarot cards. I love the fact that there are some who choose to walk their own path regardless of the opinions of others. Heck, I am one of those people!

When it comes to drum circles, however, I have noticed a bit of a trend that is disturbing. Groups of people gather to create a rhythmic moment of connection with Spirit. That is what a drum circle is about; the group consciousness in connection with Spirit. But over the last 2 years or so I have noticed that there are some who come into a circle and simply create chaos with their frantic and erratic lack of rhythm. This makes things quite difficult for all the other members of the circle. Now, a good drum circle leader, such as myself, will not allow that to go on. This is a group experience, after all, and if someone wants to just go animal and not honor the group, then they can do that in the privacy of their own homes.

If any of you have seen the movie Avatar you will know what I am talking about. The entire community was of utmost importance in the success of the spiritual healing. Any ceremony involved everyone as part of the whole. No one created chaotic ripples and the ceremony would, therefore, be successful. This doesn't mean that the outcome was always predictable, but at least the group banded together and worked together. During the chants there was no one who started erratically screaming or whaling. If there was drumming there would have been no one individual banging in an insane explosion of senseless sound.

I think those who need to disrupt are the pretenders. People who do not actually have authenticity. They are ungrounded and undisciplined. Being telepathic, I sometimes pick up on the thoughts of those who do this. They are all ego based. "Look at me! I am drumming! Look at Me! I am an individual! Look at ME! I am an anarchist who doesn't give a rat's ass about order! Look at ME! LOOK AT ME!" Really, it quickly becomes quite pathetic. That is when the drum circle leader needs to really step up on behalf of the drumming community. This does not necessarily mean to make the individual feel like crap. It does mean to be firm and explanatory in instruction for the next round. I have often begun each circle with drumming instructions. I now have a "sense" about when this is needed. This helps everyone because even the erratic individuals come to understand the beauty and Divine nature of the group consciousness. When this doesn't work, then and only then are more serious measures taken, such as handing them a rattle instead of a drum. Sometimes even talking with them after the circle, or before the next one, is necessary, but I have only had to do that once or twice. Most people are intelligent and get it quite quickly. Those who refuse to don't come back. Simplicity is a wonderful thing.

Blessed Be
Trent
http://www.youtube.com/trentdeerhorn
www.deerhornshamanic.com
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

VibrationalV said...

I absolutely LOVE your Drum Circles, especially in the new outdoor location around the fire! Really looking forward to the next one in July.