Thursday, August 5, 2010

Dragonfly Medicine


"Medicine" is a term we shamans use for anything that connects us closer in our relationship with Spirit. Some of those things include plants, stones, animals, birds and insects. This golden dragonfly was nestled on one of the leaves of my sunflowers in my garden.

I always feel honoured when Dragonfly is around. First because I know that they eat the multitudes of mosquitoes that swarm anyone as soon as the back door is opened. But I have also always, since I can remember, had a special relationship with Dragonfly. I love what it feels like whenever one lands on me. The other day there was a HUGE one that landed on my leg! I was wearing shorts and when it landed I immediately stopped what I was doing (drilling lattice work onto my garage wall) and just watched it, silently welcoming it into my energy field. It was indigo and purple in color and about 4-5 inches in length. Suddenly it saw something that looked like lunch and off it went.

Dragonflies remind me to not get too caught up in the illusions around me. Sometimes those illusions are of my own making but most often they come in the unspoken expectations of others. So often we bend ourselves to meet the needs of those around us when what we really need to do is honour our own paths and see to it that our own needs become fulfilled. We can't always be expected to serve those around us, especially when they need to learn to fend for themselves. People have a habit that I don't like much. That is the habit of convincing others or tricking others or manipulating others into doing what they themselves are perfectly capable of doing if they weren't so flippin' lazy! All sorts of illusions come into play when they play these games. Dragonfly always helps me to see clearly through all of these illusions. Thank you Dragonfly!

Blessed Be
Trent
http://www.youtube.com/trentdeerhorn
www.deerhornshamanic.com
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Gail said...

I learned a lot about illusion during our road trip to Ontario to visit family. I began to 'see' illusions within the family as a whole and how each family member put their own personal spin on it to maintain their 'ranking' within the family hierarchy and in the world at large.
And, this 'new' knowledge has immediate healing applications in my own journey of discovery.
Thanks for the post, Trent.

Trent Deerhorn said...

On our way through town yesterday my Love noticed a sign on a church that announced the sermon for that Sunday. It read like this: Grow Spiritual Fruit, not Religious Nuts. Sometimes there is a huge difference between the two. One is more grounded, the other more an illusion.