Monday, July 14, 2008

Interruptions

I am not a guy who has ever enjoyed being interrupted while speaking. When I was a kid I had a very small and soft voice (still soft spoken but not so small!) and I was constantly being spoken over at the dinner table. This resulted in me feeling like my opinions and observations did not matter at all to anyone. After a while I unconsciously decided that I was not worthy of any form of expression. Try entering choir when you don't think you are worthy of expressing yourself!

Later on I was able to be in not only choir, but also honor choir, swing choir and international honor choir. I had a voice after all! I was still not one to volunteer an opinion, but I knew I had a voice. Then three voice trainers in a row said that my voice was unusual and that they had no idea what to do with it. At 15 years of age this translated into, "You have a crappy and uncooperative voice" so I dropped out of all choirs.

I went for years without singing, other than in the shower where, hopefully, no one could hear me. When I had my children, however, they brought out the singer in me once again. And shortly after my first was born, I learned the art of chant. This brought my voice to a maximum performance level. But having children also meant constant interruptions in conversation. I found that I would get very angry when interrupted (still do) and knew that this must mean something is unresolved. After going back in time and healing the childhood disregard that my family seemed to express in talking over me constantly, I came to realize that it is okay to get angry when interrupted. The reason for the anger is that interrupting is actually extremely rude. I have always done my best to not interrupt, and I expect that others will do the same. If they are not there, then they don't get my attention.

I will sing this at the top of my lungs!

Blessed Be

Trent
www.deerhornshamanic.com

No comments: