Saturday, January 8, 2011

Get to the Point!


Time flies like an arrow and fruit flies like a banana. Think on that one for just a moment.....chuckle!  Because time flies like an arrow I find that I have very little patience with folks who beat around the bush. Communication is always much better when direct and to the point. I don't tend to play games about saving face or about buying into someone's personal drama.

Sometimes I have been called things like "heartless" when I inform someone who is talking in circles that I don't have enough time left on the earth to waste any of it with a circular discussion. People often don't know what to do with someone who tells them to get to the point. Well, here is a novel idea.....GET TO THE POINT!!

It is not that I don't have any compassion for someone who is emotionally hurting or anything like that. In fact I am, more often than not, a big soft teddy bear when it comes to emotional wounds. It is also not that I have an extremely masculine way of communicating. In fact, monosyllabic communication irritates me just as much as does circular communication. I just figure that if it can be said concisely in 10 words or less then it should be said that way, as opposed to having to sift through all the flowers and the thorns and the weeds and the vines and the rats nest of superfluous junk that comes out of people's mouths at times when all they really want to say is something like, "Yes, I would like a glass of water please," or, "No thank you, I can't stay for coffee as I need to be somewhere in 15 minutes." Nope, what we get instead are the many round about reasons why they can't stay and how coffee is awful for everyone and I should not drink it either (which I don't anymore by the way!) and how unless it is bottled water they just can't stomach it because Saskatoon City water (which by the way is the cleanest water in North America!) is so harmful to them and on and on.

So here's a communication for you.....Get out because I don't have time for this garbage.....door slams.

Believe it or not, I am actually not angry while writing this. I am having fun with it. And no, nobody has especially irritated me of late with their horrible communication. I just saw the photo of the arrows and what came to mind was "GET TO THE POINT!" so that is what I blogged about. Teehee.

Blessings
Trent
www.deerhornshamanic.com
http://www.youtube.com/trentdeerhorn
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Gail said...

I do not like being around people like that, the ones who seem to have this uncanny ability to put their brain in neutral before they open their mouths and start spewing a torrent of information that has little or nothing to do with the question they were asked. When I find myself in the presence of such an individual, it isn't long before I feel my eyes glaze over and I start wondering whether they're like this because they love the sound of their own voice, they're not allowed to talk at home, and how long it would take me to locate an off switch somewhere on their body, 'cause if it exists, I desperately wanna find it. I also wonder whether that sensation of warm liquid running outta my ears and down my neck is actually gray matter leaking from my brain pan, because this latest onslaught of inanity has finally turned my brain to mush.
Your post also got me to wonder this: Perhaps these talkers speak the proverbial forest of details in the hope that you cannot see the individual tree.

Trent Deerhorn said...

Well said, Gail! And I think that you are very correct in that observation. I have often wondered which tree they are avoiding in creating the vast foliage of verbal forest.

Anonymous said...

Ta...Ta.... TADAY JUNIOR!!!
Totally agree... I like when people get to the point. Don't get me wrong either...there are moments where rambling about discussion can be appropriate in terms of venting. But by all means... when it comes to explaining the WHY to things ( ie, coffee date cancellation) it is extremely infuriating and not to mention painful to listen to the looooong drawn out excuses. I get it. And, that's funny coming from me b/c I like to talk. Alot. :)
P.s. Love Gail's comment.
Also, in regards to getting to the point yourself and someone taking offense to the no nonsense approproach to life- I say get over it. If people can't handle a straight forward answer about things well then that's again... their own reality/drama. No need to fret even a little over that.
Thanks for the blog!