Wednesday, October 13, 2010

A Cup Half Full


Sometimes people find ways of diminishing their blessings in life. It is always easy to find that your cup is half empty, but not so easy to see that it is also half full. Whenever I find myself in a gloomy state, I go for a walk and look at the blessings in my life. This does two things for me.

First, if gives me fresh air and exercise. I guess that this means it is actually doing three things because fresh air and exercise are two. That fresh air tends to clear the cobwebs from my brain. The exercise makes endorphins rush through me and give me the "feel good" aspect. The third thing is that I begin looking at the things that are actually going right in my life. This allows me to put things into perspective so that I don't do a bunch of mental whining.

The thing that I never do is compare myself to anyone else. There is no way on earth that we can compare our experiences with those of others. So if I feel emotional pain I would never do the, "Get a grip! At least you aren't caught in a mine in Chile!" thing. That is their tragic experience, not mine. I send prayers for their well being, but never compare myself or my pain to them or anyone else. That would diminish my experience as well as theirs. I would never be so assuming as to do that.

When I count my blessings I look at the things that bring me joy. My relationships, my home, my work and so on are inspirations that help me through the more difficult things. Once I have that perspective, then I know that there may be numerous steps to go through the difficult stuff, but at least with this one step under my belt I can go the rest of the way. I think it is Super Chick that sings a song about there being 100 steps to go, but don't give up because tonight you are taking the first one and if you can do that then you can do the other 99. Pop rock is so cool at times!

It is all perspective. So when you are seeing how your life is lacking, the first thing that you will need to do is look at how it is also full. Then from there you can take whatever steps you need to in order to fill that cup up all the way.

Blessed Be
Trent
http://www.youtube.com/trentdeerhorn
www.deerhornshamanic.com
Posted by Picasa

No comments: