Saturday, November 8, 2008

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

This chant, loosely translated into English, means,"From within the mud, the lotus will bloom". At times when life gets very rough, it is a nice reminder that from within all the chaos we can actually find some beauty.

I remember going through the event of my mother's death and knowing that I was not going to be able to be with her right up to the end. At the time my wife was 8 1/2 months pregnant with our second child, and she and the first born were at home with the flu. Needless to say, they took priority when I had plenty of siblings who could be with my mother. As I said my final goodbye to her, tears streaming down my face, I knew that I was doing the right thing by going home, but who really wants to say a final goodbye to a loving mother? My three hour journey home was filled with sorrow and tears. I was not even sure I should be driving because it was getting difficult to see past the watery eyes.

Then it happened. The most beautiful sunset I had ever seen unfolded before my eyes. At the same time, a hawk flew alongside my vehicle. I did not know that hawks could fly that fast! As it was, I was speeding to get home. The hawk, flying like a bat out of, well, you know where, turned its head and looked me right in the eye and then flew off to the right. To me, this was a beautiful message from my mother that she was going to be alright. "Look at that, Mom! Is that not the most beautiful sunset?"

In a faint whisper she said, "Yes, my dear. Enjoy this one and many more to come."

Blessed Be

Trent

www.deerhorhshamanic.com
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Gail said...

Trent - What a beautiful and touching remembrance.