Friday, November 7, 2008

Punctuality

I don't like being late for things. When I became a father, I realized that I was going to have to ease up on that rule because, frankly, getting one or more kids out the door to go somewhere can take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour and a half. Sometimes it is just not worth it, so the solution was to stay home.

When it comes to appointments, I like to arrive a little early. This gives me time to decompress from dealing with traffic before the appointment, and it also allows whomever I am meeting with to relax and know that I am not going to stand them up.

Today I had a "no show". This is what I lovingly refer to folks who just don't show up to their appointments and don't give you any notice whatsoever. I don't mind if it is an emergency, but when it is disorganization, then I mind. I find it to be rude and disrespectful of my time. I think I forgot an appointment once in my life. It doesn't take much to keep an appointment in mind. Sometimes it takes more organization that other times to get there on time or slightly beforehand, but it can be done. So when I have a "no show" I get really perturbed. I don't do that to others and I certainly don't expect anyone to do that to me without very good reason. Not only does this affect me, but it also ripples an effect to those who were on my waiting list and were thus unable to take advantage of an opportunity to see me because some dolt didn't bother to let me know that they were not coming to the appointment that they set up.

This is why I had to set in place a policy that, without 24 hour notice of cancellation (unless emergency related - and no, sleeping in because I was out partying the night before does constitute an emergency!) there is a negotiated fee. This at least compensates me for having to wait for them when they were not coming in and gives incentive for them to haul their sorry butts in here. I actually am a very compassionate man, but when I am being treated badly I get angry. Really, does anyone in their right mind want to piss off their shaman????!!!

Blessings

Trent

www.deerhornshamanic.com

1 comment:

Gail said...

I hear you loud and clear. I don't like feeling stood up either.
I would guess that pissing off a shaman would have repercussions that'd be felt on many levels and in many realities, unlike poking a bear with a sharp, pointy stick. When you poke a bear, he or she reacts swiftly, pokes you back with their teeth and claws, and then it's done.