Thursday, October 22, 2009

Many Strong and Beautiful Women


On the far left, you will find my Love. Next to her is my good friend Sandhya, and on the far right is a new friend, Andrea. I have found that through my life I have typically been surrounded by strong and beautiful women. This is but one example.

For me, I think it started with my mother and my grandmother. They both taught me quite a lot about life and our connection with nature. They taught me that the world itself and all of us who live here are magical. That understanding is a big part of what has made me who I am today. My sisters were some of the first feminists. They helped me to understand that gender plays no part in capability. Yes, there are differences in the general sense, but we are all capable of becoming and achieving whatever it is to which we put our minds.

Each woman who has ever been romantically connected to me has taught me more and more about relationships and matters of the heart. Every sister of every friend has taught me to one degree or another about the importance of honoring each other.

Now, this is not to say that I have not had strong and beautiful men in my life. I have. I have also found, however and unfortunately, that the truly strong and beautiful men are fewer and farther between. I like to surround myself with men of quality and integrity. But these are not aspects that are nurtured in our culture. What is nurtured is more the capitalistic mentality. This breeds competition and one-upmanship. I don't particularly like those qualities, so it takes longer for me to find men who resonate with me. They are out there, though. I have some very good male friends. These are the types of fellas who support me and my endeavors and who also kick my butt when I need it.

Really though, it has been the women in my life who have impacted me the most. I think the ones who are going to continue to do so the most are my daughters. Each one is unique unto herself and quite strong in her own way. I feel blessed and honored to have them in my life. I know that we are only vessels through which they arrive in the world and that there is no ownership of our children (something else I learned from my mother and grandmother), but I also look forward to many years of discovery as they learn and grow and become each a strong and beautiful woman.

Blessed Be

Trent
www.deerhornshamanic.com
Posted by Picasa

No comments: