Monday, August 29, 2011

Risk


I have discovered something about old time war and world domination....my 11 year old nephew is totally into conquering the world and my 7 year old niece is totally into being the queen and telling him where to move his men. How did I discover this? The game RISK. Now you have to understand that I am soooo not into war games. Even when I was in the military, briefly, and was very good at it, I did not like it at all. So this board game could not be too bad, right?

As it turns out, one should never, NEVER, begin a new board game at 9:30 at night. Your defences are low to begin with, everyone's voice is louder because you are tired from the 14 hour day you have already put in, and you miss the treachery that is in the minds of children in lieu of the cuteness factor they exhibit on the outside. Needless to say, I lost old Alberta and could barely hold onto South Africa and Madagascar. What is the world coming to?! I was so desperate to stay on the board that I almost declared war on my Allie! Then I remembered she was my Allie and could not, in good conscience, do that.

Isn't it funny how a board game can teach us about life? We can get totally snowed by those who look "cute" and completely compromise our better judgement. We can be blind to the hidden agendas people have because they are so pretty, or rich, or popular. We can become desperate to the point of lashing out at those who support us, and, when fatigued, we sometimes need to be reminded of who those people are before we wreck our existing relationship.

So, believe it or not, I recommend the board game, RISK. I just don't recommend that you begin to learn the game at 9:30 at night.

Blessed Be
Trent
www.deerhornshamanic.com
http://www.youtube.com/trentdeerhorn

1 comment:

Gail said...

I never liked playing Risk when I was a kid because I kept losing all the time. I could never get the hang of the strategies to keep what I had without being taken over by the armies on the other side of my borders. It seemed that I'd just finish getting my armies arranged on the board and within moments they'd all be gone, wiped off the face of the earth in a few rolls of the dice by the other players. Did I mention I hate the game Risk?