Monday, February 11, 2008

Clarity & Illumination

Today is my birthday. There, everyone now knows that. I am now 45 years old. There, now everyone knows that too. Over the last 45 years I have had moments of great confusion in my life. Not just the kind of confusion where you can't decide "do I choose an apple or an orange?" but real confusion, like do I go to the left or to the right? And whichever one I choose, I know that this means something in my choice will then give me limitations (not having chosen the other path) and something in my choice will bring me great joy and liberty that the other path cannot provide.

These types of decisions are key moments in our lives. And although we can never go back and choose something different, sometimes we can adapt what we've chosen in order to encompass something more than what it originally meant for us. This is the path of Spirit on the Medicine Wheel. The path of Spirit is the path of fire, change, discernment and determination. My mother used to say that there is fog, and then there is FOG. And you have to treat both in the same manner. The fog is a mist that comes in and will hinder your way of viewing the world around you. You can either move forward through the fog and risk stepping off a cliff, or you can find your spot and sit and wait it out until the fog clears and the sun illuminates your terrain. Then you will know which way to go.

The FOG is the kind of confusion that we experience mentally and emotionally in our lives. We lose trust in ourselves and our own decision making capabilities. We walk through our lives unable to be clear as to who we are and what we want out of life. Sometimes this leads us to moments of crisis where we are forced to make a decision, or forced to accept the results of having not made a decision. If we were to allow ourselves to mentally and emotionally "check in" with ourselves on a regular basis, these types of things would be much less likely to happen.

So I have made it a practice on a daily (or at least semi-daily) basis to sit and meditate and receive clarity and illumination on my life. Sometimes it takes a bit of time and a few days running to actually know which path I need to choose. But that clarity does eventually come along, and while I am waiting for the FOG to clear, I am able to focus on my breath and on the feeling of peace and serenity that can flow through me with my breath. That can't be anything but good. I would highly recommend this for everyone.

Blessed Be

Trent
www.deerhornshamanic.com

4 comments:

Krymson said...

Happy Birthday!! And may I say you're lookin foin for 45!

If there is a crown for the title in the confusion arena, I think I own it! The FOG is a real entity and not just a movie. It can truly suck the life out of you. When I was chosen and then agreed to walk the path of a shaman...I wasn't very happy upon my first initiation task. It was frightening and completely bewildering. I certainly did not know my left from my right nevermind which path to take. However, I think most of that could have been kept under control with one simple question. Had I asked what was needed....perhaps some of the confusion FOG would have lifted and the experience wouldn't have been so traumatic.
A very wise friend of mine has told me in these types of situations it is very good to remember to breathe. A simple solution that I have found to be very effective indeed and in so many situtations that are stressful or unpleasant. I have definitley used the technique in moments of confusion and, as silly as it may sound, its helped bring some clarity.

Peace,
Krymson

BJ said...

Happy Birthday! Wow I never thought you were that young.
Talk about Fog I have just realized I am at the edge of a cliff. I live 40 km from town and alot of people said to me early this fall if you had a place in town boy it would be great because we would not have to drive All the way out there for healing sessions. Since I drive school bus and I am in town every day I thought why not sounds good to me. Well I found a place I thought would work, but now the fog has started to lift and I don't know why I am there. I asked the Power Animals cards for guidance and I got the Badger upside down. Well the fog just closed in again so I will go within and seek the answer. thanks krymson I will remember to breathe I hope it will bring me clarity in my stressfull situation.
Hug BJ

Trent Deerhorn said...

Rock on, Krymson!

Trent Deerhorn said...

Hey there, BJ!

Sometimes we put ourselves into pretzel shapes trying to please other people, especially when it comes to our businesses. You are a very industrious person and very knowing as to what others need. But badger upside down might be trying to help you to determine what your own needs are as well, and how to blend those harmoniously with the needs of your clients. Meditate on that and see what you might come up with.

Blessings

Trent