Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Custom and Ceremony

Yeats wrote, "In custom and ceremony are innocence and beauty born." I love that. I find that no matter how intense a ceremony is, it births a new being within, one that is innocent and full of potential. There are customs that do the same. And when we observe custom, such as showing respect to others, beauty is abundant in our lives.

I am now doing Shamanic Tea Ceremonies. This is an opportunity, through ritual and custom, to have a special tea, and then have the leaves read. This is an ancient form of divination, one that matches the runes, casting of bones, reading the flames and scrying through the water. The ritual itself is simple and beautiful, and then the reading is powerful and multidimensional.

I have had this training for over forty years. And I used to do this for a living way back. So why did I get away from it? Well, other things just seemed more important at the time. But I am now at a place in my life when offering this service once again is of tantamount importance. Perhaps it is simply the offering of the ritual and the divination process. Perhaps there is something more that it is leading me towards. In any case, I will take the leap. After all, as Edward Teller says, "When you come to the end of all the light you know, and it is time to step into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing that one of two things shall happen; either you will be given something solid to stand on or you will be taught to fly." I am going to completely trust this process. I already know, from the tea ceremonies that I have already done recently, that they are even more powerful that they were many years ago. So there is confidence on that front. But, as with any form of divination, one never knows what one will see. So there could definitely be some adventures along the way. I am an adventurous sort, so....game on!

Blessed Be

Trent

2 comments:

Krymson said...

This is such a great topic! I used to have major conflict with ritual. What tools should I have? Where should my altar be? What direction should I face when I do this particular thing? What should I say? How should I say it? What potions do I need? Yikes! Too complicated! The beautiful thing is...its not! Yes, there can be more formal ritual depending on the intent, purpose or celebration but....I make it sacred. Thats it!! Can you imagine my shock upon learning that from Spirit?! Tools enhance my sacred "knowing" and with practice this grows into something divine.....thus "divination". I totally want to try it all too!
May the Moon Light Your Path,
Krymson

Trent Deerhorn said...

So true!

Blessed Be

Trent