Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Wheel Turns

In almost every tradition there are Medicine Wheel teachings. Some of these teachings will vary from one tradition to the next, but each tradition is correct, each for their own valid reasons. So often I have had people complain about the fact that my medicine wheel is set up "incorrectly" in some way, shape or form. What they are really saying is that they have become rigid in their beliefs and think that their way is the only way.

The thing is that the Medicine Wheel teaches us that each way is valid. There are many paths up the same sacred mountain, and they all reach the top. If you were to look at sacred mountain from above the tip if it, you would find that its cone shape creates a medicine wheel and that the spokes out to the edges are many. Each spoke is a different path so that everyone on Mother Earth is able to find their way up the mountain.

My most recent configuration of the Medicine Wheel (there have been many according to what the wheel - a sentient being - communicates it needs) is that of a spiral. This has by far been the most powerful of all the configurations to date. Some folks who are medicine wheel "experts" don't even recognize the formation as a medicine wheel because, again, they have become rigid in their beliefs of what a medicine wheel should look like. It doesn't have to be a circle with 4 or 8 spokes. It can be a series of circles, spirals, geometric configurations and the like. They can resemble mandalas and crop circle formations. They can be as elaborate or as simple as each person can imagine. But they still are medicine wheels. They can be made of stone, of plants, of crystals, of wood, of any number of materials. And they will resonate with the "creator" of them. I put that word in quotation marks because the creator is the Creator, who is infusing us with the information of how to set one up, where and for what purposes. We become "inspired", or have spirit in us.

I mentioned that my wheel is a sentient being. Well, this is true. It talks to me and I listen. It gives me pictures and I see them. It gives me feelings through my body and I experience them. Basically it connects me in a vast array of ways, and for this I am always grateful. This is why I have agreed to be the caregiver of this wheel. Some day, perhaps someone else will be the caregiver of it. But for now, this is part of my job as a shaman. I am the keeper and caregiver of the wheel. And the wheel turns......

Blessed Be

Trent

2 comments:

Krymson said...

Perhaps the better course of action would be to ask for you to share, if you would, why things are set up the way they are and how they might work. If we can learn from things instead of placing labels on things, (i.e. wrong) it makes for an enriching experience and creates harmony which is much needed in our spiritual community. We face much too much adversity as it is. Can we, instead, look at things from another angle, see what it does for that person, maybe see what it fills them with? If its working for them then lets appreciate that and honor spirit working in them and, because we ARE one, honor it in us as well. The more of us spirit touches, the better for All! And when it comes down to it, does it matter how this is accomplished? Is it really important where that stone or crystal is placed? So lets give one another a break people...there's too much heavy stuff coming down around us for this kind of knitpicking. Do we not have more important things to do?
Goddess Watch Over You,
Krymson

Trent Deerhorn said...

I am so with you on that, sister!

Blessed Be

Trent